Saturday, December 25, 2010

The plan to deviate from, or I never know what I am going to do, but I allways know what I am doing when I do it.

Although this document is prepared for a few different audiences, it is primarily to satisfy the requirements of the FAA to document a project of this nature.
The Van’s designs has a solid service history and is also a good platform for configuring the aircraft for the kind of flying desired. No changes of the primary structure are planned. Primer will be applied internally on most surfaces, and left off of the elevator, rudder, and flap skins and stiffeners. These surfaces can expect to take a beating operating off the kinds of surfaces I expect to be flying to and will be dinged up long before corrosion becomes an issue. I have elected to go with the tip up for visibility, and conventional gear for operating off rougher strips. I currently have a first run O 320 E2D basket case that I may overhaul, or have partially overhauled. Being an airframe guy I will probably have the bottom end built up by a the local talent and install the cylinders and accessories myself. I will keep the lower 150 H.P. so auto gas can be used, although I prefer avgas. (Auto gas is not made to the spec required by the Auto fuel S.T.C. here in Alaska) Fixed pitch metal cruise prop, and a climb wood prop for off airport work is planned. Primarily configured for day VFR, provisions for night VFR will be wired for. The newer screen type instrumentation system systems are very desirable, but unless I can get a good deal, used analog instruments will be utilized. Autopilot servo mounts and IFR antenna mounts will be seriously considered. Some additions may include:
Addition of extra ribs near the inboard aileron end to support a removable stall fence.
Provisions to droop the ailerons with the flaps.
Provisions for installation of straight skis or penetrater skis.
External camera mount.
Provisions for an external cargo/ lumber rack
Float mounts.
Sealing and drain provisions for the bag area.
Engine and battery preheat.
 
Work space consist of half a two car garage for subassembly, and the sheet metal and paint shops at work for fabrication and other related prep work. I may be able to use the hanger at work for (pre) final assembly if these tasks don’t take more than a day or two. Being an airframe guy I already poses most of the tooling required. I am sure I will need to either make or purchase some specially tools. My tool philosophy is less is more. By the time I figure out how to do something easier, or faster with a special one purpose tool, I can have the task done multiple times with what I have by the time I earn enough money to buy and actually get the said tool. Shrinker stetcher, rollers, brakes and stomp shears are available at work along with some fancy welding rigs with welders. Certified scales and dymamic prop balancing is also available. Other parts not supplied in the kit I intend to buy used. Airspeed and other RV related instruments I hope to find on V.A.F. (Vans Air Force) Many other items I can purchase from work at a reduced price (I got two ICOM A200’s for $200) My employer doesn’t want the liability for parts sold as serviceable, so we get them at discount with no condition implied. The only good stuff is usually avionics and antennas that are removed for upgrades. My next door neighbor is also a career mechanic, and he is pretty good at banging up metal as well, so having an experienced bucker is not going to be an issue. Final paint is yet to be determined, however the following ideas are being weighed for merit.
1. One high visibility solid color for simplicity.
2. Blue top, white bottom. Blue to aid frost removal in the sun and show against snow in the event of a forced landing in the winter, white bottom to show against green for when it flips over during a forced landing in the summer .
3. Solid color for the fiberglass and polished aluminum everywhere else except flight control wells and leading edges, and the belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment